Friday, April 10, 2015

Module 12 - Google Earth

This week we learned a little more about Google Earth, specifically about how to convert maps from ArcGIS to KML format, how to create Google Earth maps, and how to record Google Earth tours.

The objective of this assignment was to:
1) display our dot density map of south Florida in Google Earth, and
2) Create a Google Earth tour of southern Florida's major cities.

First I opened ArcMap and opened my dot density map from a couple of weeks ago, as I wanted to convert this map into a KML format, which can be opened with Google Earth. I also went into Google Earth and turned off the unnecessary layers. I used the Map to KML tool (in ArcToolbox > Conversion Tools > To KML) to convert my dot map to KML, making sure to check the box "convert vector to raster", which turns all layers into image files. Although this doesn't allow us to edit the old features, it reduces the file size and the time required to run the conversion tool. I added the SouthFlorida shapefile and converted that to FML format using the Layer to KML tool, and copied and pasted both files to my computer.

One of the more interesting (and occasionally frustrating) parts of this lab was in using and setting up the layers in Google Earth. It was tricky figuring out how to change the altitudes and drawing order of the layers to get the map the way I wanted. For example, the counties layer needed to be at the "highest" altitude so that you could click on them and see the attributes, but I also needed to adjust the transparency and colors so I could see the rest of the map (I went with eliminating the fill and just showing the outline). I also played with the altitude of the density dots, displaying them at a higher altitude.

Next we wanted to create a tour of several locations in south Florida. The creation of the tour was rather straightforward. I placed placemarks wherever I wanted there to be a tour stop, then I turned off the layers so you couldn't see the yellow placemarks on the tour. I also turned off the legend so you could see the whole map on the tour. I started with a view of all of south Florida and hit record. I waited a few seconds, then clicked on the next stop of the tour, and so on, until I went to the last stop and back to the original view and stopped recording the tour. This is where I ran into some issues, as although when creating the tour I turned the dots layer off and on as described in the lab, that didn't seem to translate to the playback. It's either always on or always off (I could choose which during playback, it just wouldn't change the way I did it while recording). But other than that, the tour feature on Google Earth works very well and is a fun way to look at a map. The screenshot below is from my map, and it is a shot of downtown Miami. Again, the legend is turned off here to get a better look at the area.


No comments:

Post a Comment