Thursday, February 5, 2015

Module 4: Map Elements and Typography

In this lab, our assignment was to create a map of Marathon, Florida using CorelDraw.

The benefit I gained from using CorelDraw exclusively for this lab was the opportunity to learn new features of the program and to gain a better understanding of features I didn't quite get the hang of last time. We loaded a blank map of the region as a *.ai file and saved it as a *.cdr file; only the physical features were there, our task was to label the map properly.


This is a map of Marathon, Florida and the surrounding area. I labeled the features using the text box and the line feature to point to areas as needed. I labeled the cities with a standard point symbol as is seen on many maps. I used a tent symbol to symbolize the state park, an airplane symbol for the airport, and a man swinging a golf club for the country club. I found all three symbols in CorelDraw when looking at different fonts for text (ESRI symbols, MapSheets, etc). I appreciated this because I found it much easier than I think it would have been to find and insert images from online. I bolded the cities so they are not confused with other features. I used the drop shadow feature on the names of the Keys labels, and I think that brings a bit of style to the map. I used the text on a path feature for the two larger bodies of water; although we weren't assigned to label those two, I didn't like the empty space at the top, and I thought it was reasonable to label those two features.

The main issue I had was with the neatline. I would have preferred my map to be all one color, but I'm not sure how to make that work and still show the neatline, so I displayed it as seen above. The map and everything related to the map itself are within the area with the blue background, where the other map essentials are arranged on the outer border. I enjoyed making this map, and although I'm still not really that comfortable with CorelDraw, I'm much more so than I was before.

No comments:

Post a Comment