Thursday, February 19, 2015

Module 6 - Projections Part 2 / Data Search

In this week's lab, our objectives were to explore and download different types of files, including aerial photographs, topographic maps, shapefiles, and tabular data, for use with ArcMap. Additionally, these were in different coordinate systems, so one major objective of this lab was to reproject the data into one coordinate system. Our final product was to be a map of petroleum tanks in Florida's Storage Tank and Petroleum Contamination/Cleanup Monitoring (STCM) network.

I learned quite a bit this week, especially how to use aerials and tabular data in the ArcMap environment. Finding and downloading the data was rather straightforward, even though the website (Labins.org) wasn't too clear as far as which quadrangles were adjacent to each other. In ArcMap, I added the aerial data first, as this is the coordinate system in which we wanted all our data. I then added all the other layers I wanted, and reprojected them into the desired coordinate system using the data management tools in ArcMap. After adding the tabular data and reprojecting it into our state plane coordinate system, what was left was "Owning our Map." This was the section I had the most trouble with honestly. I struggled with the raster files and manipulating their size and extent, but I think that will come with working more with ArcMap. One thing I did to make it a bit easier was to create a mosaic raster, which allowed me to manipulate the raster files a little easier.

Below is an image of my map. I used petroleum tank symbology and I decided to use different colors to show the status of the tanks in my two quads. I used brighter colors so they would stand out on my map. I also placed an inset map and highlighted where my two quads were in Escambia County. I have a scale bar both on the map and the inset, as the scales are different. I considered placing a halo effect around the major road names that I labeled, but I thought it would be distracting attention away from what I was supposed to be showing, namely, the STCM sites.


I enjoyed working with the different types of data and reprojections in this lab. I think having this knowledge will help me in labs to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment